Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Living Life "to the Floorboard"


I did a StoryKeeping session last week featuring a friend of mine's grandparents. I'd never met them before, but had heard enough about their family through the years that I felt like I already knew them.

I was a shy kid growing up, and didn't get into much trouble. In fact, I believe I was only grounded once. Me, Tamra, and Amanda Rogers were going to the movies. I sat in the back of the Caprice while Tamra got out to put gas in the car. Amanda had heard about a party over at a friend's house, and somehow in that parking lot the plans changed from movie night to party night. I couldn't drive yet, so I was along for the ride regardless.

We drove on out to Justin Joseph's house. I sat in the back of a truck and drank a beer. It was the first taste of beer I'd had since I was a small child, when Dad gave me a sip to let me know how terrible it tasted, and I agreed I wouldn't want to touch the stuff anyway. Seemed harmless enough. After a few hours it was time to go back home, so when we walked through the door Dad asked us how the movie was. "Fine" was the answer to most questions in that era of our lives, so that was it. Well, at least we thought that was it.

About two weeks later we came home from school and Dad was at the dinner table.

"Where were you the night of [insert forgotten date here]?"

"I dunno."

I wasn't lying. I really didn't know what date he was talking about. This was before iPhone calendars or any real sense of responsibility had entered my life.

"Think about it, and you make sure you tell me the truth."

I really was thinking, but was drawing a blank. As it turns out, our neighbors Jason and Justin Aguilar were out at the party too, and had told their daddy that Tamra and I had come out that night. I guess everyone experienced some sort of surprise over the situation.

Tamra and I were grounded for two months.

Skip about fifteen years and I find myself sitting in the living room of Amanda's grandparents. Amanda's sister Liz sponsored a 3-hour StoryKeeping session to cover both of their lives. The idea was to create one CD for Glenn Rogers, one CD for Joyce Rogers, and one CD interviewing both of them sharing stories of their lives together. I knew it was going to be fun, and asked Joyce if she was ready about an hour before I came over. "I'm ready as I'll ever be!"

Three hours quickly turned to four as they shared their lives with me. I had a blast and I think they may have enjoyed themselves too.

When Glenn and Joyce were telling me about one of their first dates ever, they admitted that it didn't end until five in the morning. Yes, it was a New Year's party and they weren't able to leave 'til after midnight. Yes, it was snowing (in San Antonio, even!) Yes, Glenn had two other couples to drop off on the way home. And, finally, yes the windshield wipers weren't working so he had to drive really slowly with his head out the window the entire way 'cause he couldn't see through the ice. This mischievous couple had some great excuses, for sure, but I couldn't help but think of the late nights I've enjoyed partying with the Rogers family. Perhaps their tendency to celebrate is hereditary. Glenn and Joyce agreed. haha

Before Glenn and Joyce had any children they owned a Dodge Charger. For those unfamiliar, the Dodge Charger was a car that was ready to drag race right off the production line. Four hundred and forty cubic inches of displacement meant you were getting from point A to point B pretty quickly. Sometimes you'd end up at point C before you knew what'd happened.

"So you were a hot rod mama?"

"Yes, I enjoyed racing that car ... I'd put it to the floorboard."

I laughed aloud hearing those words come out of this sweet great-grandmother sitting before me. So unsuspecting, but as it turns out Joyce's has been a life full of "to the floorboard" moments.

As I climbed into my truck and drove off past all the Roger's homes, I laughed as I put it all together. Not only could I see my friend's faces in theirs, I also realized their zest for life branched from those same genetics.

My cheeks hurt from all the laughing, and I couldn't help but think that if I'd grown up a couple generations back, Glenn and Joyce probably would've gotten me grounded too.

Thank you Liz for making the StoryKeeping session possible, and thank you to the entire Roger's family for showing me how to put it "to the floorboard". Y'all have a beautiful and entertaining family.

No comments:

Post a Comment